Thursday, September 29, 2011

Embroidered Birth Wallhanging

On our 4,538-mile drive to and from California earlier this month, I had plenty of passenger-side handwork time. I'm glad I don't get carsick when doing close work. I get so much done when we travel by car! This time I completed all the embroidery on "Jungle Safari," a design I purchased here. I stitched all of the pieces with Cosmo embroidery floss.
 

When we returned home, I started coloring. I've watch Helen Stubbing's video about how to Colorque (her technique for pencil coloring), and have previously colored several embroidered quilt projects. Ironically, today Helen offers a free pattern and tutorial for her method, in case you like to try it. 

Helen says to color first, then brush textile medium over the color to protect it.  Then embroider. I chose to embroider first and then color. I'm not using any textile medium because this is a wall quilt that will likely never be washed.

When I think about embroidering first, it's like what I did as a kid when I had a coloring book. I liked to outline a shape and then color in the space. Plus, I have a limited pencil palette of only 24 colors, so I like to layer and blend colors that look good with the floss colors. 

 I use Derwent brand Coloursoft pencils.

Of course I especially had fun coloring the palm tree. Still love those palm trees!

It took a couple days to work out this arrangement (no layout instructions are provided with the embroidery pattern), and I'm very happy with it. I think it all works because of the jungle fabric that was gifted to me. Thank you, Mary!
20" X 33"
I had fun with free motion quilting too, adding palm fronds to parts of the embroidery...

...and using cream-colored thread to add sand along the bottom of several designs.


On the back I added a hanging sleeve. Instead of a dowel or wood lathe through the sleeve, I inserted a two-inch wide plastic slat from an old set of horizontal blinds. It was easy to cut it to the right length with wire cutters.

We hung the wall hanging over his changing table.

 Aesa likes it. That makes me happy, and so does the fact that it's finished before his first birthday!
Aesa - 10-1/2 months
Linda

13 comments:

  1. Didn't it come out just great??!! I can embroider in the car as long as the roads are smooth - around here, not many of them are. So, I bring hexies when I go off. Aesa is sure a cutie, and he definitely does love his new wallhanging. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!! Your work is beautiful and I love the way you added the fmq of palm fronds and sand!!
    Aesa is adorable and I can see the wallhanging makes him smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I love what you did with it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous Linda...those Derwent pencils are the best, I remember my kids had them years ago.
    How adorable and cute is Aesa..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great - you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the way you added detail with the quilting, and how neat the leaves are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is all new to me. What a fun keepsake for the cutie pie! By the way, you beat our milage by a little. I think ours was just under 4500!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Aesa's wall hanging. You certainly made it extra special by adding the FMQ leaves and sand, and colouring and shading in the embroidered pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky boy to have such a talented grandmother! I love the Derwent pencils as well and use them to color fabrics, etc. The embroidery is just beautiful. I'm glad you could do this while traveling. Makes the trip go more quickly. Can't believe Aesa is almost a year old. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, you are so talented with all that you create. I just love the machine quilting that you did. The palm fabric is perfect to sash the blocks in.
    Aesa looks very pleased with what grandma made him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful wallhanging! He is a lucky boy to have you for his very own.Your work is beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Linda! Your coloring really makes those already-cute embroideries come to life!! Nice composition on the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi LInda, you have the best pencils there - Coloursoft would be my pick- much softer and easier to colour on the soft fabric and blending is great - you can blend and paint more with the medium wiht htem also. great result.. thanks for letting me know it was here, hugs Helen

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin