Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sounds Like Home - Not!



When I wake up in the morning, during those moments when I ask myself, "Where am I?", the most tangible way of knowing - whether in Australia or at home - is by the bird calls. At home I wake to light chirup-ping of sparrows, or the mournful coo of mourning doves. Occasionally, there's the clear short call of a cardinal or the waa-ck of a blue jay. These are the sounds of home.

In Australia, morning wake-up sounds are much different! Oftentimes the calls are magpies or noisy miners. A few times I heard kookaburras - most often very early in the morning. But the most obnoxious sounds came from the beautiful yellow-crested cockatoos. They're the prettiest large birds, but they sound awful. It made my grand-daughter and I come to the conclusion that pretty birds make ugly sounds; ugly birds make pretty sounds. See if you don't agree.
What sounds do you wake up to?

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about cockatoos Linda, they always sound like someone is standing on them. Noisy, opinionated, attention grabbing little balls of feathers, but you can usually get a laugh watching their antics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be weird - I LIKE the sounds the cockys make! ... they so cheerful and happy ... kind of like kids squabbling in the school yard - lol
    and I also like the sound that crows make, they kind of sound so "laid back Aussie" or something ... I wonder if I would think the same about those 2 bird calls if I hand't been born and grown up here? LOL
    btw Magpies are also rather large birds and I think most people I know agree that their calls are wonderful ... especially that warbly thing they do ... I often wonder what it is they are saying to each other.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin